POSITION: Systems Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Operations
MANAGER: Director of Systems Engineering
DATE: June 5, 2021
LOCATION: Rochester, NY
WHO IS PRECISION OPTICAL TRANSCEIVERS?
Precision Optical Transceivers is a system engineering company focused on optical transceivers and related active/passive optical components. For over a decade, we have helped build networks around the globe by providing high quality, custom-engineered optical solutions. If you are viewing this posting online, this data is coming to you through multiple Optical Transceivers!
The Systems Engineer has a strong understanding of optical networking technologies and how these technologies apply to Precision OT’s customers. The Optical Network Systems Engineer works to test, develop, and troubleshoot all aspects of both existing and future active and passive optical products.
- Defines technical specifications and test procedures for Precision OT’s production team
- Interacts with sales engineering teams to create solutions to customer’s optical networking needs
- Supports vendor and equipment qualification and evaluation
- Leads optical network equipment troubleshooting, integration, and root cause analysis efforts
- Creates and updates transceiver and optical network device templates and configurations
- Tests and validates compatibility of optical transceiver devices with various types of networking equipment
- The Systems Engineer position will require some travel, up to 20% a year
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer, electrical, or telecommunications engineering or relevant experience
- Experience with optical routing, switching, and/or transport networking gear required
- In-depth experience with Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, or equivalent networking gear a plus
- Understanding of optical network technologies such as fiber optic transport, xWDM, Mux/Demux, dispersion, lasers, and photodetectors
- Understanding of layer 1/2 optical networking protocols such as Ethernet, OTN, Fibre Channel, CPRI, and PON.
- Proficiency with optical test gear such as OSA, BER Test Sets, VOAs, and Power Meters.
- Experience with digital systems and communication techniques
- Problem-solving skills with experience and background in solving complex problems and issues.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, climb or balance, and talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and climb stairs. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is indoor and climate controlled. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Precision Optical Transceivers, Inc is an equal opportunity organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME.
Please submit resumé and cover letter to email@example.com.